The historic First Presbyterian Church was originally built in 1872. Founded in 1870 by the circuit riding minister Sheldon Jackson, the church was a small east-west oriented chapel with Gothic stained glass windows and brick buttresses. The church was built on land donated by William A.H. Loveland.
Location: 809 15th St., Golden, Colorado
Coordinates: 39°45′9″N 105°13′7″WCoordinates: 39°45′9″N 105°13′7″W
Architect: George Kimball; Perre Unger
Architectural style : Gothic, Queen Anne
In 1898, the growing congregation hired prominent area architect James H. Gow to redesign and add onto the building, which transformed it into a roughly cross-shaped chapel with northeast corner bell tower, with smooth new facing brick enabling the whole to match. The place continued serving as the First Presbyterian Church until the congregation outgrew this space and moved to south Golden in 1958. The fledgling Jefferson Unitarian Church, led by C. Leon Hopper, then took over the church building, and worshipped here for 10 years until moving to their own home east of Golden in Applewood in 1968. The First Presbyterian Church of Golden is still a pillar in Golden with a thriving congregation.
Today, the historic First Presbyterian Church is part of the Foothills Art Center, a treasure unto its own in Golden.